This page is under construction to make it more useful and up-to-date! There’s still good information here, but check back often for more!
Here you will find relevant resources for information and support.
Support and Resources
Click on the links to learn more about what each agency does, who they serve, and how to reach them. Agencies are listed in alphabetical order beneath the appropriate headers. I’ve placed an asterisk (*) next to national agencies which can be utilized regardless of your location in the U.S. Most of the agencies listed serve anyone in the Southwestern PA area. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of resources, by any means. Please contact 2-1-1 (see info below!) if you need a resource that is not listed here.
NEW: Fair Play Pittsburgh Wellness Resource – this downloadable guide has lots of resources (digital and in-person, Pittsburgh and beyond) for mind, body, and spirt.
GENERAL SUPPORT AND RESOURCES
- Dial 2-1-1 from any phone in Southwestern PA and you’ll be connected to a live resource specialist 24/7 (actually, even if you’re not in Southwestern PA and you dial 2-1-1 you will be connected to your local 2-1-1 and be able to speak to a resource specialist). They will help you to find resources and support for any need that you have, including but not limited to: addiction and recovery services, community counseling options, financial assistance, health care resources, health care coverage assistance, housing assistance, transportation assistance, and utility assistance.
- Call here 24/7 to talk with a trained professional about any problem or crisis you’re having – big or small. This service is provided for free in Allegheny County. Call them at 1-888-796-8226 for crisis counseling and support, referrals, and intervention services for adults, teens, and their loved ones.
- Call here 24/7 for free and confidential emotional support if you – or someone you know – is suicidal or experiencing emotional distress. Call 1-800-273-8255 for resources, support, and understanding.
Addiction and Recovery Services
Counseling Support and Resources (general)
Domestic Violence Support and Resources
Food Resources (including pet food)
Housing Support and Resources (including emergency housing and utility assistance)
Sexual Assault/Rape Support and Resources
Musician-Specific Support and Resources
- Provides emergency financial assistance to Pittsburgh, PA artists who have experienced career-threatening situations such as fire, theft, or accident to replace materials, equipment, or instruments.
- Provides financial assistance to musicians in need, crisis, or transition.
Music Minds Matter (UK)
- Hotline that provides support and services 24/7 for the entire UK music community.
- Provides free, easy transport to and from recovery meetings for those playing shows in Detroit, MI. They also offer a sober “backstage” area where travelers can find relief from the hardships of touring and socialize with sober artists.
- Provides financial assistance to musicians who are struggling to make ends meet while facing illness, disability, or age-related problems.
What are your favorite blogs and books about music and the mind? Do you know of any other musician-specific resources? Leave a comment or contact us so that we can make this list better.